Friday, November 29, 2013

R & R Taqueria

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives


Back when I lived at home and had cable, I was lucky enough to catch the occasional program on the Food Network when my sister didn't have control of the TV. How I envied Guy Fieri driving around and visiting all those funky restaurants while enjoying a backstage pass to amazing food. Over the weekend my husband and I decided to take a drive and track down a dive in Elkridge, Maryland called R & R Taqueria. The authentic Mexican food is served up inside a Shell gas station.

At first I thought R & R was going to be a small adjoining structure. I've seen a few gas station/restaurant combos during road trips, but I've never encountered anything quite like this. We drove right past the restaurant and had to turn around! A ledge with bar stools sits beneath each of the windows in the picture above, and a wall of plexiglass separates the restaurant from the gas station's store. The small kitchen is open so you can watch your food being prepared while you perch on a stool.

What this restaurant might lack in ambiance, it makes up for in flavor. We each ordered huaraches and left feeling elated and stuffed. Both tortillas were topped with huge chunks of Oaxaca cheese (yum!) and generous portions of meat. The chili sauce that came with my huarache was out of this world. I highly recommend R & R Taqueria to anyone who is in search of exceptional Mexican food and a little adventure.


PS: I have a new goal to track down all the Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives in close proximity, so look out for upcoming food posts!

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment