Sunday, November 17, 2013

National Gallery of Art

Sometimes I get so bogged down by the humdrum rhythm of everyday life that I forget I live in such a cool city. This weekend my wonderful husband and I hopped onto the metro and zipped over to the Judiciary Square stop so we could take in some culture at the art museum.


There is a really cool Byzantine art exhibit (free!) at the gallery until the beginning of March 2014. Amazingly old and well-preserved mosaics, manuscripts, religious icons, paintings, frescoes, etc. fill the exhibit and are accompanied by information on their specific history and the time period as a whole. Another cool feature I noticed while walking through was a few thick reference books laying on benches for visitors to peruse. A movie in one of the rooms displays Byzantine art that is still standing thousands of miles away. If you hear music, walk towards it to get to the video. No photographs are allowed here since this exhibit is on loan to the museum, but you could pick up a commemorative gift or postcard for yourself at the shop near the exit. If you are in the area, it is well worth the trip!

I can't report on the whole museum just yet since we only made it through a portion of it today, but the permanent collection we saw on the main floor of the West Building was incredible! My art history text book was up on the walls. In person! We saw Impressionist paintings galore. I can't even list them all, but the lady at the information desk informed me that I could plan my next trip online, so here is the link for that. You can search through the museum for artists and individual works all from the comfort of your home. However, the museum also has many comfy couches so you can plop down and marvel at each painting as you move from one room to the next.


The building itself is as amazing as the paintings housed in it and movies, jazz concerts, lectures, tours, and family events offer year-round entertainment. More details later! It is time for bed. This week I start my two new volunteer positions to improve literacy and spread the joy of books. : )

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment