Saturday, November 2, 2013

Fun Writing Aids

In the spirit of National Novel Writing Month, here are some fun ideas and websites that can aid you in your writing!

1. When you can't figure out just the right word for your sentence, type elephant (or another word that will stand out) and carry on. After completing your piece or reaching a good stopping point, you can search through your document and find each elephant and replace with a more appropriate word. I am excited to try this in my own writing. It will save time and allow me to use the best descriptors possible.

2. If you have a serious procrastination problem and need a new form of motivation, check out Write or Die. This worked surprisingly well for me. I wrote about 350 word in a little over 5 minutes. I felt the same urgency to write as I do the night before a paper is due because I didn't want any of my work to be deleted. If you enjoy editing, but have troubles writing something in the first place, this might be the perfect tool for you!

3. This site seems especially cool for kids who want to craft an interactive choose your own adventure story or creative writers looking to explore multiple plot lines. I haven't done too much with this site yet, but I did come up with a silly intro that would work really well for a children's story/ picture book.

 I will continue to post more cool things as I find them. I hope you try out something new and have fun writing!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment