Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Simple Meals for Busy Schedules

This surgical rotation has been kicking our butts. We both knew it would be a hectic schedule, but after Christmas break it was a shocking jolt back to reality. With E waking up at 3:50am and coming home between 7 and 9 at night, he has almost no time to contribute to chores or meals (fortunately, he seems to enjoy his time at the hospital and finds surgery fascinating), and my responsibilities have been revving up at work as I prepare to move into a full-time position. It is an exciting offer where I get to spend more time teaching and developing workshops while getting hands-on training with the business side of things. However, we are seriously going to have to rethink our schedule.

Having a rotisserie chicken on hand is a great way to minimize kitchen time. If you carve it up to use for meals throughout the week, it is a fast way to add protein without dirtying an extra pan. As I was finishing up my grocery shopping and the commissary was getting ready to close, the loudspeaker announced $3 chicken(!) so I got two to help me out with meals this week. Here are several lunches and dinners I plan to make with it.

Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowl
One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf
Spinach and Fontina Quesadilla
Barbeque Chicken Salad
Oven-Baked Nachos
Sandwiches/Wraps
Loaded Baked Potatoes

The first three recipes are vegetarian meals that I would enjoy, but my husband is a meat eater, so adding rotisserie chicken is an easy way to suit both of us. The other four "recipes" are ones I will make up as I go along. I will do my best to document with pictures and upload the results here. This will be my first try with quinoa and I'm excited to see how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment