Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Grownup Realizations


First, I would like to start this post by saying I was not a clueless teenager. I knew I had it good despite all the high school drama, and I was in no hurry to grow up anytime soon. During the first year of college I was absolutely terrified of getting my diploma. What would happen after the crowd of congratulations carried me out of college comfort and into the real world? Luckily, the anxiety waned as I picked a major, worked a few jobs, and moved into an apartment with my best friend. By taking those small steps during school, I got a picture of how everything could come together.

That being said, I of course had much more to learn. One of the reasons behind starting this blog was to have an outlet where I could write all about all these transitions and life lessons. However, those topics can get a little deep and scary, where desserts or craft projects are non-threatening and make everyone smile. But it is time to embrace the growth. Here are 5 grownup lessons I have learned thus far.

1. There are always dirty dishes. It's crazy! I know I make more messes when I cook food, but I still don't understand how there are so many dirty bowls and utensils. I wish I had been a bigger dish-washing help when I lived at home. Now I make a solid effort to cook and clean the kitchen when I visit my mom because she deserves it. Thanks for feeding me!

2.You finally own more than a bedroom. Congratulations. The task of cleaning it all also falls to you.  This is another no-brainer that has taken me by surprise especially now that E and I are both working full-time. As the responsibilities are piling up, I feel an intense need to get the clutter under control. The best advice I have for tackling this comes courtesy of my grandmother: clean for 15 minutes when you get home- before you sit down.

3. The government takes out a lot of money in taxes. Until recently I have not made all that much money working part-time jobs, so taxes were more of a pesky annoyance. Filled with glee about receiving my first real paycheck, my hopes were quickly dashed when I saw the "minus xxx" amount from my income. Ouch. It is still a job where I am doing what I love and earning money to support myself while advancing my career goals, so I am very grateful for that. Although, it would be really nice to get a big refund check. Just saying.

4. Months fly by very quickly. I also use the expression "Oh, I can't believe how big you are!" when I see younger relatives. Yup, it's weird. In college I had the experience of time moving both slowly and quickly. It has shifted significantly towards faster post-graduation. I would be interested to hear when this phenomenon affected you. Slow it down! Put more exciting things in your schedule to punctuate the blur. Then relive those special memories through the medium that intrigues you most. Just take time to enjoy all the good things going on around you no matter how big or small. Also, keep in touch with family regularly to head off such overwhelming reunions.

5. No one really knows what they're doing. This one scares the heck out of me. Interview an adult or few. I dare you. Ask if they know what they're doing with their lives. I have received an overwhelming number of "no" responses and "I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up." I am not entirely sure how to combat this one, but for now I have two suggestions- take control of your financial future and create personal goals. Having a handle on your finances from a young age will help you build a good credit score, stash money for an emergency fund, save for retirement, and relieve a lot of stress. Setting goals will encourage you to keep what is important to you in focus. It is easy to get distracted by the cares of day-to-day life, but you want to make sure you are taking thoughtful steps that will help you accomplish personal and professional goals. Review the list more than once every ten years. I feel very little sympathy for movie characters who realize they are nearly xx years old and have not accomplished anything on their list. You should examine those big life lists frequently so you stay motivated, happy, and fulfilled. Realize that some goals might change as you develop as a person. That is not a failure to achieve that item; it just doesn't suit who you are anymore. 

My last bit of advice to combat grownup woes:

Take time to dance it out. Figure out what helps you manage stress and clear some room in your schedule. Try not to let these details bog you down; Acknowledge their existence, develop a strategy, and carry on.

Best of luck!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment