Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Meatloaf Cupcakes

These have been on my Pinterest board since day 1. What a cool idea to turn meatloaf and mashed potatoes into beautifully sculpted cupcakes. Playing with food has reached a whole new level. After avoiding this recipe because it looked complicated (It's not!), I finally decided to make the meatloaf cupcakes for my husband's surprise birthday dinner. He is not much of a dessert eater, and since we already had birthday cake with his family when we were home, I knew I needed to make something different this time.

 
I have broken down these directions into 3 sections so they are easier to read. The meatloaf and mashed potatoes need to be cooking at the same time, so read through both and figure out how you need to time it. My potatoes started once the meatloaf was in the oven and finished before it was done since I cut them in small cubes. 


* Meatloaf Cupcakes

Ingredients:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 finely diced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 3/4-1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 splashes Worcestershire
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs

For Potatoes:
-3 medium/large potatoes
-butter
-milk
-salt
-pepper
-green onions
-barbeque sauce

Directions for Meatloaf:
1. Preheat oven to 350. 
2. Mix together all ingredients in the first list except ground beef. Then add ground beef and use your *clean* hands to mix everything together.
3. Spray cupcake tin with cooking spray and fill each hole to the top with meatloaf mixture and press down firmly.
4. Spread your favorite barbeque sauce on top, put the tray in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes. (I had enough meat to make 12 cupcakes and a little extra. I just put that on my toaster oven stone and baked it as well.)

Directions for Mashed Potatoes:
1. Before making the meatloaf, you should start boiling water and peeling potatoes. This way your potatoes will be ready when your cupcakes are finished.
2. Dice potatoes in small cubes (about 1 inch) and add to boiling water.
3. Drain and prepare mashed potatoes to suit your tastes. Keep in mind these need to be extra smooth potatoes so they are easier to use as icing. I added more milk than I normally would and used the immersion blender to whip my potatoes.
-If you like extra potatoes, you will want to peel a few more. I had just enough to top each cupcake and accompany the little meatloaf. 


Directions for Assembly:
1. When meatloaf comes out of the oven turn on broil and get to icing your cupcakes. If you have an icing bag, that would be great, but I just snipped the tip of a Ziploc bag and filled it with potatoes.
2. Put cupcakes in the oven for a few minutes just to brown the potatoes. Keep a close eye on them!
3. Use a knife to cut all the way around each cupcake so they will be easier to get out of the pan. Carefully lift your cupcakes out of the pan with a utensil on each side (these are a little top heavy).
4. Serve with green onion sprinkles and a barbeque sauce drizzle. 


I hope you have fun with this recipe, I know I did! Helpful tip: If you choose to do these for a birthday and top with candles, you should place them in a candle holder so you don't get wax all over your dinner.

*The original recipe is linked to in the recipe title.

No comments:

Post a Comment