Thursday, October 3, 2013

Scarf 101 (Crochet)

I finally started work on a scarf. Over the past few months, I have mastered crocheted potholders and dishtowels but have been hesitant to graduate to scarves. Through ravelry (an online community for knitters and crocheters) I found the easiest pattern possible and have begun my preparations for fall!


I love these colors, and this yarn is so soft.
This scarf is a little different because you chain stitch the length of the scarf and add on rows to create width instead of the other way around where you build on length. For some reason I found this concept less frightening. Another plus about this pattern is you really don't have to count/measure stitches. I made an incredibly long chain stitch and began counting to see if I had reached my 120 stitch mark. When I got to 40, I said screw it. I carefully examined my strand of yarn and decided it was scarf length, so I turned it around and began single crocheting in each stitch. In this pattern you can build on tassels/fringe while you crochet, but I decided to add those at the end. I am taking the most lackadaisical approach to this scarf as possible to trick my brain into completing this project. Follow-through is my biggest craft obstacle to overcome, but I am working at it. :)

Here is my progress so far:


3 comments:

  1. You're off to a great start! I hope you show the finished product when you're done. I love the colors too! I usually wait to the end to fringe my scarves I find it easier that way! I'm working on a new Afghan I can't to show everyone :) I also just posted last week fingerless gloves, there were surprisingly very simple to make! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can't wait to see your Afghan! I will post a picture of my finished scarf soon (hopefully). :) After this I think I am going to try Amigurumi. Have you made any of those before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! As soon I finish I'll post the pic! I'm sure your scarf is going to look great! I havent tried Amigurumi, but I really want to!

    ReplyDelete